Yes you can have delicious breaded chicken on a low-carb diet.
The secret is to ditch the breadcrumbs and use a combination of parmesan cheese and ground almonds (almond flour).
This recipe is fast and easy, just how I like it. I suggest you make up a big batch of these and store them for small meals throughout the week. (I took some pics of myself making these to guide you through it.)
The following recipe is for about 8 small chicken goujons:
- Raw Chicken Fillets
- Parmesan Cheese
- Almond Flour
- Salt & Pepper to taste
You’ll need 2 bowls and a plate for the food preparation stage. You want to create an assembly line on your kitchen worktop in the following order:
- Raw Fillets
- Bowl of whisked eggs
- Bowl of combined parmesan and almonds (salt & pepper are optional)
- Plate to set your breaded chicken on
- Get 2 eggs and whisk together in a bowl
- Get about 40 grams of parmesan (the powdered kind), and 40 grams of almond flour and place them in your second bowl. Note: You can pick up ground almonds in most supermarkets. Tesco sells it in the ‘cooking’ section. If you can’t pick it up, you can always blend some slivered almonds yourself.
- Now take a chicken strip and dunk it in your egg mix
- Shake off any excess and drop it into your ‘breading mixture’. Roll it around until covered and set it on your plate.
- Repeat the previous step until all strips are coated. You can also add spices to the mix. Below I’ve added just 5 grams of fajita spice mix.
- Ideal: Leave for 10 minutes so that the breading sticks to the chicken better when cooking. It might be a good idea use this 10 minutes to clean up before your partner kicks your ass for leaving the kitchen in a mess 😉
- Put a little oil in a frying pan/skillet and turn to medium hot.
- Now throw on your chicken strips and cook on each side for 3-4 minutes only. Also at this time turn your oven on to 385 F or 190 C and line a baking tray with foil.
- When the chicken is browned on the outside, remove and place in your pre-heated oven.
- Cook for approx. 25 minutes, remove and enjoy!
At about 3 grams of carbohydrate for the entire recipe (0.35g carbs per strip), this breaded chicken is the perfect high protein, low-carb snack for the carb conscious bodybuilder. Salsa makes a great dip with these.
I normally make about double this amount and grab a few from the fridge and heat in the microwave when I need a tasty snack.
Can I give you my free muscle-building workout?
Join thousands over the world who are packing on slabs of new muscle for free with Targeted Hypertrophy Training (THT)