Gotta love some broscience!
Usually when someone counters something I say, it starts with, “I heard…” or “Well the guy at the gym said…”
Let me stop you right there.
If I give an argument supported by logic, reason, and references to studies, you have no business countering with what you “heard”. That’s not how it works, my friend.
Anyway, a few weeks ago I asked my facebook followers to share with me their top broscience quotes.
Here they are in all their hilarious glory.
If you’ve any to add, comment below…
- I started off the comments with one of my own favs, “Eat every 3 hours or you’ll go catabolic”.
- Steroids turn fat into muscle
- You should leave at least 4 days between back day and chest day.
- The bar should never touch your chest doing bench press.
- Young beginner says, “I need to start working my legs more” …. Older dude “hey bro, don’t worry about your legs and focus on upper body. You never need to do your legs cos you are on them all day at work, that’s enough for them”. I heard this the other day and nearly butted in cos this guy had skinny legs and felt like I should say something!
- Doing combined exercises are the way to go eg. doing a squat and finishing with a calf raise at the end of the motion. Or Deadlift and then step up onto a bench.
- Only way to do reverse pyramid is with no rest in between.
- Its OK to do chest workout everyday.
- Gotta change your workout every week. You’re smart right? Your muscles are even smarter and need to be confused in order to grow. Muscle confusion is where it’s at, baby!
- You need to eat 5,000 calories daily to build xxx lbs of muscle every month.
- When bulking, you need to drink as little water as possible.
- Steroids only give you side effects if you use them for more than a year.
- Taking creatine is the same as taking steroids.
- I was told, being a woman, if I took creatine I would start to grow chest hair. Needless to say but my chest has been hair free lol.
- I read on a strength training site that you don’t need isolation ‘cos compound exercises do it all. “Even your arms have to work hard to hold the bar on your back when you Squat, which indirectly helps to build bigger arms.”
- I was told Starting Strength was all I needed for all my “goals”. I didn’t put on much if any muscle, but did gain a good bit of fat due to the “fantastic” calorie recommendations lol.
- How well you do the movement doesn’t matter so much as long as the weight is there.
Now enjoy this funny “Do You Even Lift?” Broscience vid…
Forget the broscience and get the science-based, growth-promoting THT workout below for free. Make amazing gains like these guys.
Please share some nonsense you’ve heard below.
Or if you need any help with your training and/or diet, ask below and I’ll be happy to help.
Can I give you my free muscle-building workout?
Join thousands over the world who are packing on slabs of new muscle for free with Targeted Hypertrophy Training (THT)
lmfao – the girl being told that she’d grow chest hair after taking creatine. I thought I’d heard it all!!
“Deadlifts work your entire body. Forearm curls? Waste of time. Shrugs with dumbbells? Useless. 500 sit ups? Why bother? I guarantee you by the time you’re deadlifting big weight you’ll have massive arms and legs, forearms that you can hammer nails with, a crazy strong lower back, and abs that are beyond ridiculous.”
A personal trainer once told me that I wont lose fat on the mans diet, but that I NEED carbs to lose weight. He also said creatine won’t build me real muscle, but it will give me water retention instead and turn my muscles into water sacks. Well at least my wife likes my watersacks!
Gotta love some Broscience! Now that vid is in an awesome series of vids that make me laugh all the time, strangely though some people think he is being serious! Love the article mate and it also gave me many laughs!
Eating chicken is the only legal way to take steroids because of the steroids they give them to grow. Wanted to slap him. I’m big because I work my ass off and eat right.
@Yeser. I think that’s my number 1 pet peeve these days – the “compound only” nonsense. Just because a lot of muscles are “involved” in an exercise doesn’t mean at all that they each receive the necessary intensity to stimulate growth. They don’t. And full muscle fiber recruitment for certain muscles absolutely necessitates direct (isolated) work.
The combination of compound and isolation is the only way forward for those looking to maximize growth. Those unconvinced should read my article on 5×5 workouts below. Besides we all know people who do these workouts, they can sometimes deadlift impressive numbers, but…they don’t even look like they lift.
@Dewald @Jim @Andrew LOL, Thanks guys.
A mutual friend claimed to have an uncle that lost a kidney from taking Chinese creatine- wtf?
Some of my faves:
You gotta rest as little as possible between sets cause that’s what builds up the metabolic waste material in your muscles and makes you grow. Resting more is for building strength.
In order to have big arms you need to have big everything (chest, back, legs) ’cause the body is proportional and will only allow your guns to grow when the rest grows accordingly
You gotta eat like half a kilo of protein per day to build some serious muscle mass. The more, the merrier.
Calories is what make muscle grow. If you aren’t eating enough calories, then you aren’t gonna grow. Period
A wide grip on your biceps barbell curl will hit your “inner biceps” while the narrow grip will target your “outer” bicep. Like wise, concentration curls will create that bicep peak you see on some brahs
Brah, you need to do compound exercises like dead lifts and squats to boost your growth hormone and testo levels up so you can burn fat and build muscle.
Gosh, there are so many I could probably write a book
You’ve probably seen this one: the only way to grow muscle is free weights. Machines are just for toning.
But we know that some machine help with stability and let you go to failure because you won’t drop the weight on your head. I’m thinking of shoulder press machines, smith machine, cable machines…
Too funny I love the creatinine is a steroid one. That videos is too much had to watch his others. Thanks for the laugh!
When I joined my current gym I got 3 free PT sessions. The PT told me I have to eat more to lose fat and eat more carbs. It will fire up my metabolism. She eats the most she ever has and is the leanest she’s ever been apparently. Well it must work for everyone then right?
Also I should be increasing my weights every set. You normally decrease them? What?
Seriously what do they teach these people on these PT courses?
@Rod @Papucho @pmjeff21 @Fred @Rocstar
Thanks for your contributions. Great stuff!
or if you do this ab rotator giz mo 2 seconds a day youll look like arnold in a week. or take this pill twice a day and youll be shredded in month without working out or eating right.. or you dont need steroids to get as big as ronney coleman just work out harder.. or its easy to get ripped no discipline required.
Hi Mark. what about the saying: all you need for a body recomposition (lose fat and build muscle) is resistance training and you don’t need cardio training to achieve that.
personally i think to change your body you absolutely need some form of cardio training (depending on your fitness level “steady state cardio VS HIIT”).
so what do you think about this?
and also almost everyone swears by the DB/KB swings for cardio in an interval cardio training program to lose fat, how you can include it?